As part of the 27th National Statistics Month (NSM) celebration, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) announced the winners of the 26th National Statistics Month (NSM) Awards and the 6th NSM Media Awards during the joint 27th NSM and 13th National Convention on Statistics (NCS) Opening Ceremony held on
03 October 2016 at the Edsa Shangri-la Hotel, in Mandaluyong City.
The awards were presented by Dr. Lisa Grace S. Bersales, National Statistician and Civil Registrar General of the PSA and Chair of the 27th NSM/13th NCS Steering Committee, with The Honorable Ernesto M. Pernia, Secretary of Socioeconomic Planning and Director General of NEDA, and Dr. Johannes JÃ¼tting, Manager of the Partnership in Statistics for Development in the 21st Century (PARIS21). The winners each received a Plaque of Recognition and cash prize.
The winners of the 26th NSM awards are:
- Region 1 as the Best NSM Region for their successful conduct of diverse NSM activities that strengthened regional and local coordination and partnership towards the development of statistical activities in response to the growing demand for local level statistics;
- UP Statistical Society as the Best Youth Advocate of Statistics for their exemplary promotion and advocacy of statistics through the conduct of diverse NSM activities with a broader impact;
- Progressive Economists’ Solidarity (PESO) Week and NSM Celebration by the Saint Louis University (SLU) as the Best Statistical Activity conducted by a Private Organization for their successful conduct of the joint PESO Week and NSM Celebration on
05-09 October 2015at SLU Maryheights Campus, Baguio City; and
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ (DENR) lecture series entitled “An Outreach with the Youth on Environmental Awareness and Education Lecture Series” as the Best Statistical Activity conducted by a Government Organization.
The NSM Awards, instituted since 2002, aims to recognize the outstanding participation of agencies, regional offices, and private entities in the NSM celebration, and to encourage them to be more active in their involvement in the future celebrations of the NSM.
Meanwhile, for the 6th NSM Media Awards, the winners are:
- Veteran journalist Malou C. Mangahas, Executive Director of the Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ), for the Online Category award. This is Ms. Mangahas’ third NSM media award;
- Ms. Angela Lorraine Celis of Malaya Business Insight for the Print Category award; and
- I-Witness of GMA News TV, a documentary news and public affairs television show, for the Best Program for Television. The award was received by Mr. Jay Taruc, one of the program’s hosts.
The NSM Media Awards are given to media practitioners in recognition of their important role in promoting and communicating statistics and valuing its use in planning and decision-making and for the professional handling of statistical information.
In view of this month’s celebration of the 27th NSM, we invite government agencies, private sector groups and the media entities to undertake activities and programs which carry the theme: “Sustainable Development: Making Statistics Count”, and likewise get a chance to be nominated for the 27th NSM Awards and the 7th NSM Media Awards in 2017.
Our warmest congratulations to all the NSM awardees!
LISA GRACE S. BERSALES, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General