The Philippine Statistical System (PSS) thru the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) will host with the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) the 2017 International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals Statistics (ICSDGS) which will be held on
4-6 October 2017 at The Peninsula Manila, Makati City, Philippines.
The Conference with the theme “Level Up: Shaping a Strong Data Ecosystem for Monitoring Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”, is expected to be attended by statisticians, researchers, data providers and users as well as other stakeholders of statistics on SDGs. It will include representatives from national statistical offices of various countries, national/country coordinating agencies on SDG indicators, country/national focal agencies on SDGs, international organizations, international and local civil society organizations which are engaged/involved in the SDG statistical process, and private individuals and companies which have stakes on SDG statistics.
The three-day Conference aims to:
- Serve as a venue for knowledge sharing/discussion on the methodologies, addressing data gaps and use of other data sources given the numerous SDG indicators including the demand for data disaggregation (geographical, income, sectoral, age, sex, race, ethnicity or other characteristics);
- Facilitate sessions on improving traditional data sources, civil registration systems, administrative records and exploring Big Data, registers, citizen-generated data and other third-party data as potential sources of official statistics for the monitoring of SDGs; and,
- Serve as a forum for identifying needed resources, support, capacity building and possible collaboration with international development partners that can facilitate SDGs data availability and access.
Features of the Conference
The Conference will be highlighted with messages by Mr. Johannes Jütting of the Partnership in Statistics for Development in the 21st Century (PARIS21), Ms. Francesca Perucci of the UNSD and National Statistician Lisa Grace S. Bersales of the PSA, as well as keynote address from Secretary Ernesto M. Pernia of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA).
Five (5) plenary sessions will also be organized covering topics on:
- Data Ecosystem: Exploring New Technologies and Data Sources (including Big Data)
- SDG Data Users: Needs and Expectations
- Financing and Partnerships for the SDG Monitoring
- Counting the Uncounted
- The Way Forward
Meanwhile, a total of 16 breakout sessions will also be conducted carrying the following themes:
- Data storytelling (Communicating and Understanding the Data)
- Integration of different data sources for SDG monitoring
- Localizing statistics
- Monitoring sector specific indicators
- Setting statistical standards
- Building readiness for the SDG challenge
The conduct of the Conference will also coincide with the 28th National Statistics Month celebration in October.
For further information on the Conference, please contact the 2017 ICSDGS Secretariat at telephone numbers
(632) 938-5257, and email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Updates on the Conference are likewise posted on the 2017 ICSDGS webpage (http://psa.gov.ph/ICSDGS) and social media pages (Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2017icsdgs; Twitter: https://twitter.com/2017icsdgs).
LISA GRACE S. BERSALES, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General