Press Statement on Republic Act 10172

It has come to our attention that a number of our countrymen received the wrong information regarding the recently approved Republic Act (RA) 10172 entitled “An Act Further Authorizing the City or Municipal Civil Registrar or the Consul General to Correct Clerical or Typographical Errors in the Day and Month in the Date of Birth or Sex of a Person Appearing in the Civil Register Without Need of a Judicial Order Amending for this Purpose Republic Act Numbered Ninety Forty-Eight.”

Thus, the NSO-Office of the Civil Registrar General (OCRG) issues this statement to clarify important matters and for the proper guidance of the general public:

  1.  On the Payment of Fees.  There is no truth to the rumor that there is no payment that will be involved in the filing of petitions for corrections of clerical errors in the day and month in the date of birth or sex of a person appearing in the civil register pursuant to RA 10172.

Section 4 of the Act clearly states that “The city or municipal registrar or the consul general shall be authorized to collect reasonable fees as a condition for accepting the petition.  An indigent petitioner shall be exempt from the payment of the said fee.”

An indigent petitioner as defined in Rule 2.7 of Administrative Order No. 1, series of 2001 of the Office of the Civil Registrar General[1] refers to a destitute, needy and poor individual who is certified as such by the social welfare and development office of the city/municipal government.

  1.  On the Processing Period.  There is no provision in RA 10172 that specifies that it will only take 15 days for the complete administrative process of effecting the correction of clerical errors in the day and month in the date of birth or sex of a person as appearing in the civil register.

It is likely that the requirement of publication of the petition for at least once a week for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation as stipulated in Section 5 (Form and Contents of the Petition) of the Act was misinterpreted to mean as the processing period.  We would like to make it clear that the publication is just one of the requirements and is only a stage in the implementation of the Act.

  1. On where to File the Petition.  According to reports that reached the NSO-OCRG, apparently an announcement has been made instructing citizens who would like to avail of the provisions of RA 10172 to proceed to the NSO to file their petitions.

We would like to reiterate that RA 10172 simply expanded the coverage of the correction of clerical or typographical errors in the civil register without judicial order as earlier provided for in RA 9048.  Moreover, Section 1 of both laws stipulates that the authority to change or correct entries in the civil register is vested on the concerned city or municipal registrar or consul general.

Thus, all petitions for the correction of clerical errors in the day and month in the date of birth or sex of a person as appearing in the civil register must be filed with the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) of the city or municipality or with the Office of the Consul General where the record containing the clerical or typographical error to be corrected is registered and not with the NSO. 

RA 10172 is a consolidation of Senate Bill No. 3113 and House Bill No. 4530 which aims to relieve the inconvenience of going through court proceedings from individuals with inaccurate entries in the day and month in the date of birth or sex in their civil registry documents.

We are aware that there are a number of persons who are eager to avail of the provisions of the new law.  We would like to inform them that the NSO-OCRG is currently in the process of drafting the Administrative Order that will contain the rules and regulation for its effective implementation.  Once finalized, it will be published in a newspaper of general circulation.




[1] Rules and Regulation Governing the Implementation of Republic Act No. 9048



Average: 3.4 (89 votes)



Good day ma'am/sir. I already went to my LCR @ Tarlac City regarding the clerical error regarding my gender at my birth Certificate. THe requirements they gave were: 1) Certificate of Live Birth (NSO Copy) 2) Voter Registration record 3) School Record: Form 137 (Form 137) 4) NBI Clearance 5) Police Clearance 6) Medical Certificate 7) Cedula..

I already got requirements 1, 4, 5, 6, 7....What I am concerned of are requirements 3) I am already in college, so I took my Certified True copy of my Transcript of Records since my university said that there're no F137 anymore in college. Is it okay?
And of course 4) My voter Registration Record, I haven't registered myself as a voter is there a way for me to get a record? Or if no, is it okay if I don't pass this anymore?

can I also just submit other supporting documents like a letter from where I was born regarding the correction? oR maybe my baptismal certificate? I really hope you can help me with this. Thank you!

corrections change of name

meron po bang bayad ang pag corect ng spelling ng pangalan? ang lumalabas po kasi sa NSO marween eh ang ginagamit ko po ay maureen

name correction

my problem is i'm using ma.asuncion all through out only now i found when i got my birth cert at nso that my ma. is full as in maria asuncion,,,,just want to know if it's included in RA10172 tnx and God bless.

RA 10172

Dear Ms Ericta,
I have noticed you did not include correction of entry of YEAR in the date of birth due to typographical error. Because I can provide a copy of my Baptismal Certificate that the local Civil Registrar typo erroneously the YEAR in my Birth Certificate. I went to our local Civil Registrar to correct it but they said it was not included in IRR 9048 issued by your good office.
Please consider including it. Thank you so much.
PS. If not please help me find a good NSO lawyer (see above for my email address).

applying may son bithcertipicate

can i now may son mackenzie pegares gustilo is register at nso


so thankful sa mga mambabatas mtagal ko na pong hangad yan dahil sa maling gender ng anak ko...

Clerical error in Surname

Dear Sir/Madam,

Good day! My name is Rico A. Dimen, I have a problem with my surname on my birth certificate. Instead of Dimen, it is written Demin. All my siblings are having the correct surname as my father aside from me. What do I have to do to fix this issue.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

You can email me at

Best Regards,
Rico A. Dimen