2016 Survey on Overseas Filipinos starts data collection in October 2016

Reference Number: 


Release Date: 

Thursday, September 1, 2016
In October 2016, the Philippine Statistics Authority is set to conduct the 2016 Survey on Overseas Filipinos (SOF) which aims to obtain data on Filipino citizens who left for abroad during the last five years. The SOF aims to generate statistics on overseas Filipinos and their contribution to the economy. The SOF provides data on the number of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), their remittances (cash and in-kind), modes of remittance, their occupation and place of work abroad. 
Results from the 2015 SOF released on 18 May 2016 reported that during the period April to September 2015, the number of OFWs was estimated at 2.4 million, 97.1 percent of which were classified as Overseas Contract Workers (OCWs) or those with existing work contract while the rest (2.9 percent) worked overseas without contract. Saudi Arabia remained the top destination of OFWs which accounted for 24.7 percent of the total OFWs in 2015. Among the regions in the Philippines, CALABARZON registered the largest share of OFWs with 17.9 percent followed by Central Luzon with 15.1 percent and National Capital Region (NCR) with 11.0 percent. Meanwhile, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) reported the smallest percent share of OFWs with 1.5 percent. A total of 180.3 billion pesos-worth of remittances were sent by OFWs during the period April to September 2015. Majority of OFWs sent their remittances through banks (62.2 percent) while others coursed through their remittances to agencies or local offices (4.0 percent), door-to-door delivery (2.4 percent), friends or co-workers (0.1 percent) or through other means (31.4 percent).
Around 43,000 households with family members who traveled outside of the Philippines nationwide for various reasons will be covered as respondents of the 2016 SOF. A total of 10 million pesos is allocated to cover for the expenses necessary for the conduct of the survey which will be conducted simultaneously with the PSA’s October 2016 Labor Force Survey (LFS). 
Results of the survey is expected to be released in June 2017.
The 2016 Survey on Overseas Filipinos (SOF) was cleared for conduct on 8 August 2016 under the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS), a mechanism being implemented by the PSA by virtue of Rule 28 of Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act No. 10625 to:
  • ensure sound design for data collection; 
  • minimize the burden placed upon respondents; 
  • effect economy in statistical data collection; 
  • eliminate unnecessary duplication of statistical data collection; and
  • achieve better coordination of government statistical activities.
All sample households are enjoined to participate in the 2016 SOF.
For further information on the SSRCS, please contact the Statistical Standards Division (SSD) of the Standards Service (SS) of PSA with telephone numbers (02) 376-1928 and (02) 376-1931, and email address: ssd.staff@psa.gov.ph.
(Assistant National Statistician)

See more on the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS) page.