Cattle Situation Report, April-June 2021

Reference Number: 

2021-372

Release Date: 

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The total cattle production from April to June 2021 was estimated at 60.99 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was 32.6 percent higher than the previous year’s same quarter output of 46.00 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Among the regions, CALABARZON was the highest producer of cattle during the quarter with a production of 9.68 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was followed by Northern Mindanao with 8.89 thousand metric tons, liveweight, and Ilocos Region with 7.40 thousand metric tons, liveweight. These three regions contributed 42.6 percent to the country’s total cattle production.

Compared with their levels in the same quarter in 2020, 15 regions reported increments in production during the quarter. Zamboanga Peninsula posted the highest annual increase of 189.6 percent, from 1.03 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the second quarter of 2020 to 2.98 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter. (Figure 1)

 

 

As of 01 July 2021, the total cattle inventory was estimated at 2.59 million heads. This was -0.2 percent lower than the 2.60 million heads recorded in the same period of 2020. Cattle population in backyard farms increased by 0.5 percent while stocks in commercial farms declined by -11.1 percent.  About, 94.7 percent of the country’s total cattle inventory came from backyard farms while the remaining 5.3 percent was from commercial farms. (Figure 2)

 

 

 

In terms of inventory, Central Visayas recorded the highest cattle population with 310.90 thousand heads. This was followed by Ilocos Region and CALABARZON with corresponding inventories of 262.08 thousand heads and 260.93 thousand heads. These three regions shared 32.2 percent to the country’s total cattle population.

The average farmgate price of cattle for slaughter during the quarter was PhP 146.57 per kilogram, liveweight. This was 14.5 percent higher than the previous year’s same quarter average price of PhP 128.01 per kilogram, liveweight.

During the reference quarter, the highest average farmgate price of cattle for slaughter was noted in May at PhP 147.28 per kilogram, liveweight while the lowest was quoted in April at PhP 145.48 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 4)

 

 

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Cattle Situation Report presents the cattle industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by age group, and average farmgate price. The report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for PSA’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly in January, May, August, and November every year.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally raised cattle disposed for slaughter including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter. This is expressed in metric ton, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of cattle present in the farm as of a specific reference date. For this report, the inventory of cattle is as of 01 July 2021.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs such as the transport and other marketing cost (if any) incurred in selling the produce are not included in the farmgate prices. The 2019 to 2021 farmgate prices included in this special release were based on the revised method of computation by the Price Statistics Division (PSD).

 

 

Attachment: