Chicken Egg Situation Report, January to March 2023

Reference Number: 


Release Date: 

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

In January to March 2023, chicken egg production was estimated at 175.73 thousand metric tons, indicating an annual increase of 2.8 percent from the 170.97 thousand metric tons output in the same period of 2022. (Figure 1)

During the period, CALABARZON was the top producer of chicken egg with 57.71 thousand metric tons or 32.8 percent share to the total chicken egg production. Completing the top five regions with the highest volume of chicken egg production this quarter were the following:
a. Central Luzon, 33.82 thousand metric tons;
b. Central Visayas, 20.05 thousand metric tons;
c. Northern Mindanao, 13.81 thousand metric tons; and
d. Western Visayas, 9.52 thousand metric tons.

These regions accounted for 76.8 percent to the country’s total chicken egg production during the quarter.

Relative to their outputs in the same quarter of 2022, eight regions posted increments in production during the quarter. In terms of level, Northern Mindanao posted the highest annual increase of 3.61 thousand metric tons, from 10.20 thousand metric tons in the same period of the previous year to 13.81 thousand metric tons this quarter.



As of 31 March 2023, the total chicken laying flock population declined to 65.22 million birds from 66.67 million birds in the same period of the previous year. The layer chicken inventory recorded a decrease of -3.4 percent, while native/improved chicken inventory grew by 0.2 percent. Of the total laying flock, layer chicken shared 65.3 percent, while the remaining 34.7 percent were native/improved chicken. (Figure 2)

CALABARZON recorded the highest laying flock population of 14.24 million birds during the period. This was followed by Central Luzon and Central Visayas with corresponding inventories of 11.22 million birds and 6.93 million birds. These three regions shared 49.6 percent to the country’s total chicken laying flock population as of 31 March 2023.



The average farmgate price of chicken egg was quoted at PhP 7.12 per piece for this quarter, which was 34.3 percent higher than the previous year’s same quarter price of PhP 5.30 per piece. (Figure 4)

During the reference quarter, the highest average farmgate price was recorded in February at PhP 7.15 per piece, while the lowest average farmgate price was observed in March at PhP 7.08 per piece.



(Assistant National Statistician)
Officer-in-Charge, Deputy National Statistician
Sectoral Statistics Office