Duck Egg Situation Report, January-March 2020

Reference Number: 

2020-138

Release Date: 

Monday, July 6, 2020

The total duck egg production in January to March 2020 is estimated at 11.57 thousand metric tons. This was 3.6 percent higher compared with the output in the previous year of 11.17 thousand metric tons.

Relative to their levels a year ago, eight regions recorded increases in production during the period. In terms of growth rate, Central Visayas recorded the highest increase of 9.8 percent, from 82.00 metric tons in the same period of 2019 to 90.06 metric tons this quarter.

Among regions, Central Luzon was the top producer of duck egg at 4.88 thousand metric tons, which accounted for 42.2 percent of the total duck egg production. This was followed by Northern Mindanao with 1.20 thousand metric tons and Western Visayas, 1.11 thousand metric tons production. The combined output of these three regions accounted for 62.1 percent of the country’s total duck egg production. (Figure 1 and Table 1)

 

 

 

As of 01 January 2020, duck laying flock inventory was estimated at 6.54 million birds. This represents an increase of 9.1 percent compared with the count in the same quarter of the previous year of 6.00 million birds.

Of the total duck laying flock, 50.1 percent were raised in backyard farms, while the remaining 49.9 percent were from commercial farms. (Figure 2 and Table 2)

 

 

The average farmgate price of duck egg in commercial farms in January to March 2020 was PhP 7.22 per piece. This was higher by 8.7 percent from the average farmgate price of PhP 6.64 per piece a year ago.

During the reference period, the highest average farmgate price was observed in February at PhP 7.46 per piece while the lowest was in March at PhP 6.83 per piece. (Figure 3 and Table 3)

 

 

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

 

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Duck Egg Situation Report presents the duck egg industry in terms of volume of production, laying flock inventory and average farmgate price. The report was prepared to serve as ready reference for PSA’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly in January, May, August and November every year.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of duck egg disposed from locally-raised duck including those duck eggs which were shipped out to other region/province.

Inventory refers to the actual number of duck present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs such as the transport and other marketing cost (if any) incurred in selling the produce are not included in the farmgate prices.

Attachment: