Duck Situation Report, January-March 2020

Reference Number: 

2020-136

Release Date: 

Monday, July 6, 2020

The total duck production from January to March 2020 is estimated at 9.69 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was 0.8 percent higher than the output in the same quarter of 2019 of 9.62 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

During the quarter, eight regions posted increases in production relative to their levels a year ago. In terms of growth rate, Central Visayas reported the highest increase of 9.1 percent, from 66.00 metric tons, liveweight in the same period of 2019, to 71.98 metric tons, liveweight this quarter.

The top three duck producing regions during the reference quarter in terms of liveweight were Central Luzon with 4.22 thousand metric tons, SOCCSKSARGEN with 1.19 thousand metric tons, and Western Visayas with 0.75 thousand metric tons. These regions accounted for 63.5 percent of the country’s total duck production. (Figure 1 and Table 1)

 

 

As of 01 January 2020, the total inventory of duck was estimated at 11.79 million birds. This was 1.9 percent higher than the 2019 same quarter count of 11.58 million birds. Of the total duck inventory, 65.9 percent were from backyard farms while the remaining 34.1 percent were raised in commercial farms.

By age classification, laying flock accounted for 55.5 percent of the total inventory. The remaining were combined stocks of growing flock, day-old duckling and male breeder. (Figure 2 and Table 2)

 

 

The average farmgate price of duck for meat in commercial farms in the period January to March 2020 was quoted at PhP 74.87 per kilogram, liveweight. This was 27.3 percent higher compared with the average farmgate price of PhP 58.80 per kilogram, liveweight in the same quarter of 2019.

In January 2020, the average farmgate price of duck meat was posted at PhP 75.62 per kilogram, liveweight, while it was PhP 74.11 per kilogram, liveweight in February 2020. (Figure 3 and Table 3)

 

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

 

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Duck Situation Report presents the duck industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by farm type, and average farmgate prices. The report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for our various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector.  It is released quarterly in January, May, August and November every year.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised animals disposed for dressing including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for dressing. This is expressed in thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of animals present in the farm as of the specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm.  Thus, the marketing cost, such as transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce is not included in the farmgate prices.

 

Attachment: