Duck Situation Report, October-December 2020

Reference Number: 

2021-071

Release Date: 

Monday, February 8, 2021

The total duck production from October to December 2020 was estimated at 7.91 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was 3.7 percent higher than the previous year’s same quarter output of 7.63 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Among the regions, Central Luzon was the top producer of duck for meat during the quarter with 2.77 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was followed by SOCCSKSARGEN with 1.39 thousand metric tons, liveweight, and Cagayan Valley with 0.65 thousand metric tons, liveweight. These regions shared 60.7 percent to the country’s total duck production.

Relative to their levels in the same period in 2019, 10 regions exhibited increments in production during the quarter. Central Visayas posted the highest annual growth of 28.0 percent, from 0.11 thousand metric tons, liveweight, in the same period of 2019 to 0.14 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter.

 

Figure 1

 

As of 01 January 2021, the total inventory of duck in the country was estimated at 12.22 million birds.  This was 3.6 percent higher than previous year’s same period stocks of 11.79 million birds.  Population of duck in both backyard and commercial farms increased by 3.0 percent and 4.8 percent, respectively. Of the total duck inventory 65.5 percent were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 34.5 percent were from commercial farms.

The top three regions with highest number of duck raised were Central Luzon with 4.42 million birds, SOCCSKSARGEN with 1.46 million birds, and Western Visayas with 1.39 million birds. These regions accounted for 59.5 percent of the country’s total duck inventory.

 

Figure 2

 

The average farmgate price of duck for meat in commercial farms during the reference quarter was quoted at PhP 64.68 per kilogram, liveweight. This was -27.8 percent lower than the average price of PhP 89.54 per kilogram, liveweight, in the same period of 2019.
   
During the period, the highest average farmgate price of duck for meat was observed in November at PhP 77.26 per kilogram, liveweight, while the lowest was in October at PhP 47.20 per kilogram, liveweight.

 

Figure 3

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Duck Situation Report presents the duck industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by farm type, and average farmgate prices. The report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for our various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector.  It is released quarterly; that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised animals disposed for dressing including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for dressing. This is expressed in thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of duck present in the farm as of the specific reference date.  For this report, the inventory of duck is as of 01 January 2021.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm.  Thus, the marketing cost, such as transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices.

 

Attachment: