Goat Situation Report, April-June 2021

Reference Number: 

2021-375

Release Date: 

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

The total goat production from April to June 2021 was estimated at 17.53 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was higher by 23.4 percent than the previous year’s same quarter output of 14.20 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Among the 16 regions, Central Visayas was the top producer of goat during the quarter with a production of 2.99 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was followed by Ilocos Region and Northern Mindanao with corresponding productions of 2.29 thousand metric tons, liveweight and 2.16 thousand metric tons, liveweight, respectively. These three regions accounted for 42.5 percent of the country’s total goat production.

Relative to their levels in the same quarter of 2020, 12 regions posted increases in production during the quarter. Central Luzon recorded the highest annual growth rate  of 58.0 percent, from 1.05 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the second quarter of 2020 to 1.66 thousand metric tons, liveweight in this quarter. (Figure 1)

 

 

As of 01 July 2021, the total goat inventory in the country was estimated at 3.94 million heads, -1.3 percent lower than the previous year’s same period count of 3.99 million heads. Goat population in both backyard farms and commercial farms contracted by -1.2 percent and -8.7 percent, respectively. Of the total goat population, backyard farm accounted for 98.8 percent of the total stocks.  The remaining 1.2 percent comprised the inventory for commercial farms. (Figure 2)

In terms of inventory, Central Visayas recorded the highest goat population with 577.15 thousand heads. This was followed by Western Visayas with 516.70 thousand heads and Ilocos Region with 494.69 thousand heads. These three regions shared 40.4 percent of the country’s total goat population.

 

 

The average farmgate price of goat for slaughter during the quarter was PhP 169.58 per kilogram, liveweight. This was 14.3 percent higher than the previous year’s same quarter average farmgate price of PhP 148.38 per kilogram, liveweight.

During the period, the highest farmgate price of goat for slaughter was noted in June at PhP 170.09 per kilogram, liveweight, while the lowest was in May at PhP 168.81 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 4)

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Goat Situation Report presents the goat industry in terms of volume of production, inventory, and average farmgate price. The report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for Philippine Statistics Authority’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly, that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised goat disposed for slaughter including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter. This is expressed in metric tons, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of goat present in the farm as of a specific reference date.  For this report, the inventory of goat is as of 01 July 2021 since the surveys for this commodity are conducted semi-annually, i.e., January and July.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs, such as the transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices. The 2019 to 2021 farmgate prices included in this special release were based on the revised method of computation by the Price Statistics Division.

 

 

Attachment: