Monday, August 23, 2021
- The population of the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) as of 01 May 2020 is 1,797,660 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 1.65 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 75,654 from the population of 1.72 million in 2015, and 180,793 more than the population of 1.62 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 432,248 compared with the population of 1.37 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of CAR increased by 0.91 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was higher at 1.21 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the six provinces comprising CAR, Benguet had the biggest population in 2020 with 460,683 persons, followed by Abra with 250,985 persons, Kalinga with 229,570 persons, Ifugao with 207,498 persons, and Mountain Province with 158,200 persons. Apayao had the smallest population with 124,366 persons. (Table 3)
- The City of Baguio, the only highly urbanized city in the region posted a population of 366,358 persons.
- Kalinga was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 1.62 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Apayao with a PGR of 0.90 percent, Abra (0.84 percent), Benguet (0.67 percent), and Mountain Province (0.49 percent). Ifugao posted the lowest provincial PGR of 0.48 percent. (Table 4)
- The City of Baguio posted a PGR of 1.25 percent.
- CAR is composed of one highly urbanized city (HUC), one component city, 75 municipalities, and 1,178 barangays.
- Among the cities (excluding the City of Baguio) and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is La Trinidad, Benguet with 137,404 persons. It was followed by the City of Tabuk, Kalinga with 121,033 persons and Itogon, Benguet with 61,498 persons. (Table 5)
- The ten least populous cities/municipalities in CAR are all located in the province of Abra. Daguioman has the smallest population with 2,019 persons, followed by Bucloc with 2,395 persons, and Langiden with 3,576 persons. (Table 6)
- Of the 1,178 barangays in CAR, the largest in terms of population size is Irisan in the City of Baguio, Benguet with 36,562 persons. It was followed by Pico in La Trinidad, Benguet with 25,790 persons, and Bulanao in the City of Tabuk, Kalinga with 21,522 persons. The rest of the top ten most populous barangays in the region are all located in the province of Benguet. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General