Monday, August 23, 2021
- The population of the National Capital Region (NCR) as of 01 May 2020 is 13,484,462 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 12.37 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 607,209 from the population of 12.88 million in 2015, and 1,628,487 more than the population of 11.86 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 3,551,902 compared with the population of 9.93 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of NCR increased by 0.97 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was higher at 1.58 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the 16 highly urbanized cities (HUCs) comprising the NCR, Quezon City had the biggest population in 2020 with 2,960,048 persons, followed by the City of Manila with 1,846,513 persons, and the City of Caloocan with 1,661,584 persons. The City of San Juan had the smallest population with 126,347 persons. (Table 3)
- Pateros, the only municipality in the region posted a population of 65,227 persons.
- The City of Valenzuela was the fastest growing HUC in the region, with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 3.03 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by the City of Mandaluyong with a PGR of 2.07 percent and the City of Taguig (2.06 percent). The City of Navotas posted the lowest PGR of -0.16 percent among the HUCs in the region. (Table 4)
- Pateros, the lone municipality in NCR had a PGR of 0.45 percent.
- Of the 1,710 barangays in the NCR, the largest in terms of population size is Barangay 176 in the City of Caloocan with 261,729 persons. It was followed by Commonwealth with 213,229 persons and Batasan Hills with 166,572 persons, both in Quezon City. (Table 5)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General