Monday, August 23, 2021
- The population of Region II - Cagayan Valley as of 01 May 2020 is 3,685,744 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 3.38 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 234,334 from the population of 3.45 million in 2015, and 456,581 more than the population of 3.23 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 872,585 compared with the population of 2.81 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of Region II increased by 1.39 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was lower at 1.27 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the five provinces comprising Region II, Isabela had the biggest population in 2020 with 1,697,050 persons, followed by Cagayan with 1,268,603 persons, Nueva Vizcaya with 497,432 persons, and Quirino with 203,828 persons. Batanes had the smallest population with 18,831 persons. (Table 3)
- Nueva Vizcaya was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 2.02 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Batanes with a PGR of 1.87 percent, Quirino (1.60 percent), and Isabela (1.33 percent). Cagayan posted the lowest provincial PGR of 1.19 percent. (Table 4)
- Region II is composed of one independent component city, three component cities, 89 municipalities, and 2,311 barangays.
- Among the cities and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is Tuguegarao City in Cagayan with 166,334 persons. It was followed by the City of IIagan with 158,218 persons and the City of Santiago, an independent component city, with 148,580 persons, both in the Province of Isabela. (Table 5)
- Uyugan in Batanes is the least populous city/municipality in Region II with 1,380 persons. It was followed by Ivana in Batanes with 1,407 persons and Sabtang in Batanes with 1,696 persons. (Table 6)
- Of the 2,311 barangays in Region II, the largest in terms of population size is Rizal in the City of Santiago, Isabela with 14,362 persons. It was followed by Rosario in the City of Santiago, Isabela with 12,399 persons, and San Fermin in the City of Cauayan, Isabela with 12,047 persons. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General