Monday, August 23, 2021
- The population of Region IV-A - CALABARZON as of 01 May 2020 is 16,195,042 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 14.85 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 1,780,268 from the population of 14.41 million in 2015, and 3,585,239 more than the population of 12.61 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 6,874,413 compared with the population of 9.32 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of Region IV-A increased by 2.48 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was higher at 2.58 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the five provinces comprising Region IV-A, Cavite had the biggest population in 2020 with 4,344,829 persons, followed by Laguna with 3,382,193 persons, Rizal with 3,330,143 persons, and Batangas with 2,908,494 persons. Quezon had the smallest population with 1,950,459 persons. (Table 3)
- The City of Lucena, the only highly urbanized city in the region posted a population of 278,924 persons.
- Cavite was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 3.57 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Rizal with a PGR of 3.07 percent, Laguna (2.30 percent) and Batangas (1.62 percent). Quezon posted the lowest provincial PGR of 1.04 percent. (Table 4)
- The City of Lucena posted a PGR of 0.98 percent.
- Region IV-A is composed of one highly urbanized city, 19 component cities, 122 municipalities, and 4,019 barangays.
- Among the cities (excluding the City of Lucena) and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is the City of Antipolo, Rizal with 887,399 persons. It was followed by the City of Dasmariñas, Cavite with 703,141 persons, and the City of Bacoor, Cavite with 664,625 persons. (Table 5)
- Nine of the ten least populous cities/municipalities in Region IV-A are located in the Province of Quezon. Jomalig has the smallest population with 7,667 persons, followed by Plaridel with 10,129 persons and Agdangan with 12,764 persons, all in the Province of Quezon. The Municipality of Famy in Laguna ranked tenth with 16,791 persons. (Table 6)
- Of the 4,019 barangays in Region IV-A, the largest in terms of population size is San Isidro in Rodriguez (Montalban), Rizal with 159,612 persons. It was followed by San Jose in Rodriguez (Montalban), Rizal with 141,819 persons, and Cupang in the City of Antipolo, Rizal with 135,064 persons. The rest of the top ten most populous barangays in the region are all located in the Province of Rizal, except San Francisco in the City of General Trias, Cavite, which was ranked tenth with 83,629 persons. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General