Monday, August 23, 2021
- The population of Region V - Bicol as of 01 May 2020 is 6,082,165 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 5.58 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 285,176 from the population of 5.80 million in 2015, and 661,754 more than the population of 5.42 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 1,395,496 compared with the population of 4.69 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of Region V increased by 1.02 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was higher at 1.29 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the six provinces comprising Region V, Camarines Sur had the biggest population in 2020 with 2,068,244 persons, followed by Albay with 1,374,768 persons, Masbate with 908,920 persons, Sorsogon with 828,655 persons, and Camarines Norte with 629,699 persons. Catanduanes had the smallest population with 271,879 persons. (Table 3)
- Camarines Norte was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 1.62 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Camarines Sur with a PGR of 1.22 percent, Albay (0.94 percent), Sorsogon (0.93 percent), and Catanduanes (0.87 percent). Masbate posted the lowest PGR of 0.39 percent. (Table 4)
- Region V is composed of one independent component city, six component cities, 107 municipalities, and 3,471 barangays.
- Among the cities and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is the City of Legazpi, Albay with 209,533 persons. It was followed by the City of Naga, an independent component city in Camarines Sur with 209,170 persons, and the City of Sorsogon, Sorsogon with 182,237 persons. (Table 5)
- Gigmoto in Catanduanes is the least populous city/municipality in Region V with 8,712 persons. It was followed by Panganiban (Payo) with 9,713 persons, and Bagamanoc with 11,086 persons, both in the Province of Catanduanes. (Table 6)
- Of the 3,471 barangays in Region V, the largest in terms of population size is Concepcion Pequeña in the City of Naga, Camarines Sur with 25,139 persons. It was followed by San Felipe, also in the City of Naga, Camarines Sur with 21,098 persons, and Bibincahan in the City of Sorsogon, Sorsogon with 20,618 persons. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General