Monday, August 23, 2021
- The population of Region VIII - Eastern Visayas as of 01 May 2020 is 4,547,150 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 4.17 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 107,000 from the population of 4.44 million in 2015, and 445,828 more than the population of 4.10 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 936,795 compared with the population of 3.61 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of Region VIII increased by 0.50 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was higher at 1.52 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the six provinces comprising Region VIII, Leyte had the biggest population in 2020 with 1,776,847 persons, followed by Samar (Western Samar) with 793,183 persons, Northern Samar with 639,186 persons, Eastern Samar with 477,168 persons, and Southern Leyte with 429,573 persons. Biliran had the smallest population with 179,312 persons. (Table 3)
- The City of Tacloban, the only highly urbanized city in the region posted a population of 251,881 persons.
- Biliran was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 0.93 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Leyte (0.63 percent), Eastern Samar (0.45 percent), Southern Leyte (0.39 percent), and Samar (Western Samar) with 0.34 percent. Northern Samar posted the lowest provincial PGR of 0.23 percent. (Table 4)
- The City of Tacloban posted a PGR of 0.84 percent.
- Region VIII is composed of one highly urbanized city, one independent component city, five component cities, 136 municipalities, and 4,390 barangays.
- Among the cities (excluding the City of Tacloban) and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is Ormoc City, an independent component city in the Province of Leyte with 230,998 persons. It was followed by the City of Calbayog, Samar (Western Samar) with 186,960 persons, and City of Baybay, Leyte with 111,848 persons. (Table 5)
- Maslog in Eastern Samar is the least populous city/municipality in Region VIII with 5,463 persons. It was followed by Mercedes in Eastern Samar with 6,112 persons, and Limasawa in Southern Leyte with 6,191 persons. (Table 6)
- Of the 4,390 barangays in Region VIII, the largest in terms of population size is Barangay 105 (Suhi) in the City of Tacloban with 12,296 persons. It was followed by Mercedes in the City of Catbalogan, Samar (Western Samar) with 12,281 persons, and Dalakit (Pob.) in Catarman, Northern Samar with 12,075 persons. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General