Monday, August 23, 2021
- The population of Region X - Northern Mindanao as of 01 May 2020 is 5,022,768 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 4.61 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 333,466 from the population of 4.69 million in 2015, and 725,445 more than the population of 4.30 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 1,517,060 compared with the population of 3.51 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of Region X increased by 1.46 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was higher at 1.68 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the five provinces comprising Region X, Bukidnon had the biggest population in 2020 with 1,541,308 persons, followed by Misamis Oriental with 956,900 persons, Lanao del Norte with 722,902 persons, and Misamis Occidental with 617,333 persons. Camiguin had the smallest population with 92,808 persons. (Table 3)
- The region has two highly urbanized cities. The City of Cagayan de Oro posted a population of 728,402 persons, while the City of Iligan had a population of 363,115 persons
- Bukidnon was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 1.81 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Misamis Oriental with a PGR of 1.57 percent, Lanao del Norte (1.41 percent), and Camiguin (1.01 percent). Misamis Occidental posted the lowest provincial PGR of 0.53 percent. (Table 4)
- The City of Cagayan de Oro posted a PGR of 1.58 percent, while the population of the City of Iligan grew by 1.23 percent.
- Region X is composed of two highly urbanized cities (HUCs), seven component cities, 84 municipalities, and 2,022 barangays.
- Among the cities (excluding the City of Cagayan de Oro and the City of Iligan) and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is the City of Valencia, Bukidnon with 216,546 persons. It was followed by the City of Malaybalay, Bukidnon with 190,712 persons, and the City of Ozamis, Misamis Occidental with 140,334 persons. (Table 5)
- Guinsiliban in Camiguin is the least populous city/municipality in Region X with 6,685 persons. It was followed by Binuangan in Misamis Oriental with 7,441 persons and Concepcion in Misamis Occidental with 9,324 persons. (Table 6)
- Of the 2,022 barangays in Region X, the largest in terms of population size is Carmen in the City of Cagayan de Oro with 77,756 persons. It was followed by Balulang in the City of Cagayan de Oro with 42,205 persons, and Poblacion in the City of Valencia, Bukidnon with 40,350 persons. The rest of the top ten most populous barangays in the region are all located in the City of Cagayan de Oro, except Tubod in the City of Iligan, which was ranked ninth with 33,243 persons. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General