Monday, August 23, 2021
- The population of Region XIII - Caraga as of 01 May 2020 is 2,804,788 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 2.57 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 208,079 from the population of 2.60 million in 2015, and 375,564 more than the population of 2.43 million in 2010. It was also higher by 709,421 compared with the population of 2.10 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of Region XIII increased by 1.63 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was lower at 1.28 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the five provinces comprising Region XIII, Agusan del Sur had the biggest population in 2020 with 739,367 persons, followed by Surigao del Sur with 642,255 persons, Surigao del Norte with 534,636 persons, and Agusan del Norte with 387,503 persons. Dinagat Islands had the smallest population with 128,117 persons. (Table 3)
- The City of Butuan, the only highly urbanized city in the region posted a population of 372,910 persons.
- Surigao del Norte was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 2.07 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Agusan del Norte (1.89 percent), Surigao del Sur (1.72 percent), and Agusan del Sur (1.14 percent). Dinagat Islands posted the lowest provincial PGR of 0.16 percent. (Table 4)
- The City of Butuan posted a PGR of 2.15 percent.
- Region XIII is composed of one highly urbanized city, five component cities, 67 municipalities, and 1,311 barangays.
- Among the cities (excluding the City of Butuan) and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is the City of Surigao, Surigao del Norte with 171,107 persons. It was followed by the City of Bayugan, Agusan del Sur with 109,499 persons, and the City of Bislig, Surigao del Sur with 99,290 persons. (Table 5)
- Burgos in Surigao del Norte is the least populous city/municipality in Region XIII with 4,185 persons. It was followed by San Benito (5,663 persons) in Surigao del Norte, and Tubajon (8,119 persons) in Dinagat Islands. (Table 6)
- Of the 1,311 barangays in Region XIII, the largest in terms of population size is Mangagoy in the City of Bislig, Surigao del Sur with 30,541 persons. It was followed by Libertad with 25,296 persons and San Vicente with 19,500 persons, both in the City of Butuan. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General