To provide essential information on overseas Filipinos, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) granted, on 26 July 2019, clearance to the 2019 Survey on Overseas Filipinos (SOF) which will be conducted as rider survey to the October 2019 round of the Labor Force Survey.
The SOF aims to obtain national estimates on the number of overseas Filipinos including overseas workers and their socio-economic characteristics and to provide estimates on the amount of cash and in-kind transfer received by the families and mode of remittance.
A total of 5,000 individuals and 45,000 households will be interviewed for the SOF. The survey will utilize a total of Php 132,500.00 for printing of questionnaires and manuals.
Results from the 2018 SOF, which covered the period April to September 2018, show that:
- the number of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) at any time during the reference period was estimated at 2.3 million. Overseas Contract Workers (OCWs) or those with existing work contracts comprised 96.2 percent of the total number of OFWs during the period April to September 2018.
- Region IV-A (CALABARZON) has the largest number of OFWs with 17.9 percent of the total number of OFWs while the regions with the least number of OFWs were Region XIII (Caraga) and MIMAROPA, i.e., each region recorded 1.8 percent of the total number of OFWs.
- there were more female OFWs (55.8 percent) than male OFWs (44.2 percent). On the other hand, the largest proportion of OFWs belonged to the age group 30 to 34 years old comprising 23.7 percent of all OFWs, followed by those aged 25 to 29 years old with 20.0 percent.
- Saudi Arabia was the leading country of destination among OFWs (24.3 percent). Other popular destinations were United Arab Emirates (15.7 percent), Hong Kong (6.3 percent), Kuwait (5.7 percent), Taiwan (5.5 percent), and Qatar (5.2 percent).
- The total remittance sent by OFWs during the period April to September 2018 was estimated at Php 235.9 billion. These remittances included cash sent home (Php 169.4 billion), cash brought home (Php 55.2 billion), and remittances in kind (Php 11.2 billion).
The SOF was reviewed and cleared for conduct under the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS), a mechanism being implemented by the PSA by virtue of Rule 28 of Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act No. 10625 to:
- ensure sound design for data collection;
- minimize the burden placed upon respondents;
- effect economy in statistical data collection;
- eliminate unnecessary duplication of statistical data collection efforts; and
- achieve better coordination of government statistical activities.
In line with this, the PSA enjoins the public to support the said survey.
For further information on SSRCS, please contact the Statistical Standards Division of the Standards Service with telephone numbers (02) 376-1928 and
(02) 376-1931, and email address: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLAIRE DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General