The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) granted clearance for the conduct of the Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) and Commercial Livestock and Poultry Survey (CLPS). These two surveys are conducted quarterly which aims to determine and measure the inventory, disposition, average farmgate prices and other related data on farm animals from backyard and commercial livestock and poultry industry in the country.
The BLPS will cover about 22,000 households with livestock and/or poultry raising activities. On the other hand, the CLPS will cover about 4,000 establishments that raises/tends livestock and poultry animals intended for breeding/propagation and for food consumption.
Major data items to be collected from the two surveys include the following:
- Type of Operation/Purpose;
- Inventory by age/type;
- Breeder that gave birth;
- Supply Indicator (number of births, hatched live, received/acquired);
- Slaughtered/dressed in the household/farm;
- Sold live for slaughter/dressing;
- Sold live for other purposes (breeding, fattening);
- Average farmgate price (live animal, eggs);
- Milk Production Indicators (animals on the milk line, average milk production);
- Egg production indicators (laying flock, ELER, egg laid in a month, conversion rate);
- Average liveweight per head/bird;
- Disposition by Area of Destination;
- Assessment of household/farm production;
- Reason/s for the increase/decrease in production and farmgate price.
The BLPS and CLPS will utilize a total budget of PhP 19.4 million and PhP 7.9 million, respectively. Data will be collected on the following dates:
|1st Quarter 2023||01 to 10 April 2023||20 to 31 March 2023|
|2nd Quarter 2023||01 to 08 July 2023||20 to 30 June 2023|
|3rd Quarter 2023||01 to 08 October 2023||19 to 30 September 2023|
|4th Quarter 2023||01 to 08 December 2023||20 to 29 November 2023|
Results of both surveys are released one month after the reference quarter.
The undertaking was reviewed and cleared for conduct under the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS), a mechanism being implemented by the PSA by virtue of Rule 28 of Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act No. 10625 to:
- ensure sound design for data collection;
- minimize the burden placed upon respondents;
- effect economy in statistical data collection;
- eliminate unnecessary duplication of statistical data collection efforts; and
- achieve better coordination of government statistical activities.
In line with this, the PSA enjoins the households and establishments engaged in livestock and poultry raising to support the 2023 BLPS and CLPS by providing the information needed. Authorized PSA interviewers will visit the households and establishments to conduct personal interview.
For further information on SSRCS, please contact the Statistical Standards Division of the Standards Service with telephone numbers (02) 8376-1928 and (02) 8376-1931, and email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General
See more at the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS) landing page.