Rice and Corn Stocks Inventory, 01 June 2020

Reference Number: 

2020-196

Release Date: 

Friday, July 10, 2020

RICE

  • As of 01 June 2020, the total rice stocks inventory was 2,395.94 thousand metric tons, lower than the previous year's level of 2,598.34 thousand metric tons or by 7.8 percent. In comparison with the previous month’s level of 2,794.89 thousand metric tons, rice stocks inventory was down by 14.3 percent. (Figure 1 and Table 1)
  • Compared with the previous year’s level, stocks in the households grew by 19.8 percent, while stocks in commercial warehouses and NFA depositories declined by 10.7 percent and 54.9 percent, respectively. (Table 1)
  • Rice stocks were lower in all sectors in comparison with the previous month’s levels. Stocks in the households, commercial warehouses, and NFA depositories decreased by 17.4 percent, 6.8 percent, and 22.0 percent, respectively. (Table 1)
  • Of this month’s total rice stocks, 52.4 percent were in the households, 37.2 percent were in commercial warehouses, and 10.4 percent in NFA depositories. (Table 1)

Figure 1 Inventory Rice Stocks June 2019, May 2020 and June 2020

Table 1 Percentage Change Inventory of Rice Stocks June 2019,  May 2020 and June 2020

CORN

  • The total corn stocks as of 01 June 2020 was estimated at 905.52 thousand metric tons. This was higher by 5.3 percent than the previous year’s record of 859.77 thousand metric tons. Similarly, this was higher by 7.7 percent than the previous month's inventory level of 840.52 thousand metric tons. (Figure 2 and Table 2)
  • Corn stocks inventory in the households went up by 20.0 percent compared with its previous year’s level. Similarly, stocks in commercial warehouses were higher by 3.8 percent.
  • Relative to the previous month’s level, corn stocks in the households dropped by 38.9 percent. Nonetheless, an increase of 18.5 percent was recorded in the stocks of commercial warehouses. (Table 2)
  • About 89.4 percent of this month’s stocks inventory were in commercial warehouses and the remaining 10.6 percent were in the households. (Table 2).

Figure 2 Inventory Rice Stocks June 2019, May 2020 and June 2020

Table 2 Percentage Change Inventory of Rice Stocks June 2019,  May 2020 and June 2020

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

Technical Notes

 

Monthly rice and corn stocks inventory are generated from three sectors, namely: household, commercial, and National Food Authority (NFA). The household stocks are taken from the results of Palay and Corn Stocks Survey (PCSS) of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), which covers farming and non-farming households nationwide. The commercial stocks are sourced from registered grains businessmen through the Commercial Stocks Survey (CSS). The CSS is conducted by the NFA, the results of which are submitted to the PSA. The NFA stocks are monitored from their warehouses/depositories.

Attachment: 

Tags: