Swine Situation Report, April-June 2021

Reference Number: 

2021-373

Release Date: 

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The total hog production from April to June 2021 was estimated at 406.07 thousand metric tons, liveweight. It decreased by -26.2 percent from the 550.02 thousand metric tons, liveweight output during the same quarter of the previous year.

Among the regions, Central Visayas was the top producer of hogs during the quarter with a production of 55.15 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was followed by Northern Mindanao and Western Visayas with correspoding productions of 52.82 thousand metric tons, liveweight, and 47.23 thousand metric tons, liveweight. These regions collectively shared 38.2 percent to the country’s total hog production.

Relative to their levels in the same quarter of 2020, 10 regions showed declines in production during the quarter.  Central Luzon posted the biggest annual decline of -77.1 percent, from  104.43 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the second quarter of 2020 to 23.95 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter. (Figure 1)

 

 

As of 01 July 2021, the total swine inventory was estimated at 9.64 million heads. This was -17.9 percent lower than the 11.74 million heads count in the same period of 2020. Swine population in both backyard farms and commercial farms declined by -11.8 percent and -29.8 percent, respectively. Of the total swine population, 71.3 percent were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 28.7 percent were from commercial farms. (Figure 2)

In terms of inventory, Western Visayas recorded the highest population with 1.18 million heads. This was followed by Northern Mindanao with 1.13 million heads and Central Visayas with 1.12 million heads. These regions comprised 35.6 percent of the country’s total swine inventory. 

 

 

 

The average farmgate price of hogs upgraded for slaughter during the quarter was PhP 164.71 per kilogram, liveweight. This was 51.6 percent higher than the previous year’s same quarter average farmgate price of PhP 108.66 per kilogram, liveweight.

During the reference period, the highest farmgate price was recorded in April at PhP 167.11 per kilogram, liveweight, while the lowest was in June at PhP 160.94 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 4)

 

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Swine Situation Report presents the swine industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by farm type, and average farmgate price. This report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for PSA’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly; that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised hog disposed for slaughter including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter. This is expressed in metric tons, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of swine present in the farm as of a specific reference date. For this report, the inventory of swine is as of 01 July 2021 since the surveys for this commodity are conducted quarterly, i.e., January, April, and October.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs, such as the transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices. The 2019 to 2021 farmgate prices included in this special release were based on the revised method of computation by the Price Statistics Division (PSD).

 

 

Attachment: