Swine Situation Report, April-June 2022

Reference Number: 

2022-387

Release Date: 

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Hog production from April to June 2022 was recorded at 418.40 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This indicates an annual increase of 3.0 percent relative to its previous year’s level of 406.07 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Central Visayas was the top producer of hog during the quarter with 57.43 thousand metric tons, liveweight or 13.7 percent share.

Completing the top five (5) hog major producing regions and their corresponding volume of production were:
a. Northern Mindanao with 50.32 thousand metric tons, liveweight;
b. Western Visayas with 49.06 thousand metric tons, liveweight;
c. CALABARZON with 46.67 thousand metric tons, liveweight; and
d. Davao Region with 31.52 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

These regions accounted for 56.1 percent of the country’s total hog production.

In comparison to their levels in the same quarter of 2021, nine (9) regions posted increments in production during the quarter. Central Luzon reported the biggest annual growth of 29.7 percent from 23.95 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the same quarter of the previous year to 31.06 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter.

 

 

Total swine inventory as of 30 June 2022 reached 9.94 million heads. This was higher by 3.0 percent from the previous year’s count of 9.64 million heads. Population of swine in backyard farms and commercial farms improved by 1.1 percent and 7.7 percent, respectively. About 70.0 percent of the country’s swine population came from backyard farms, while the remaining 30.0 percent were from commercial farms.

In terms of swine inventory, the top regions were CALABARZON, Western Visayas, and Northern Mindanao with a combined share of 35.2 percent to the total swine population. 

 

 

 

The average farmgate price of hogs upgraded for slaughter was PhP 181.93 per kilogram, liveweight for this quarter. This was 10.5 percent higher than the previous year’s same period average farmgate price of PhP 164.71 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 4)

The highest farmgate price for the quarter was recorded in June at PhP 186.54 per kilogram, liveweight, while the lowest was in April at PhP 173.10 per kilogram, liveweight.

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

EXPLANATORY NOTES

This Swine Situation Report presents the swine industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by farm type, and average farmgate prices. This report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for the various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). It is released quarterly, that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the number of tended/raised hogs disposed for slaughter including animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in metric tons, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of swine present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs, such as the transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices. The 2020 to 2021 farmgate prices included in this special release were sourced from the Price Statistics Division (PSD), while the 2022 farmgate prices were based on the surveys of Livestock and Poultry Statistics Division (LPSD).

 

Attachment: