Swine Situation Report, January-March 2020

Reference Number: 

2020-137

Release Date: 

Monday, July 6, 2020

The total hog production from January to March 2020 is estimated at 571.26 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was 0.7 percent higher than the output in the same quarter of 2019 of 567.42 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Compared with their levels in the same period in 2019, nine regions reported increases in production during the period. In terms of growth rate, Cordillera Adminstrative Region (CAR) reported the highest increase of 6.9 percent, from 6.31 thousand metric tons, liveweight in  the same period of 2019 to 6.74 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter.

Among regions, Central Luzon was the highest producer of hogs during the quarter with 114.11 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was followed by CALABARZON and Northern Mindanao with productions of 90.33 thousand metric tons, liveweight and 52.23 thousand metric tons, liveweight, respectively. These three regions accounted for 44.9 percent of the country’s total hog production. (Figure 1 and Table 1 )

 

 

As of 01 April 2020, the total swine inventory was registered at 12.71 million heads. This was 0.2 percent lower than the 12.73 million heads stocks in the same period of 2019. Population of swine in backyard farms posted a decrease of 1.8 percent, while the stocks in commercial farms registered an increase of 2.6 percent.

Of the total swine inventory, 62.3 percent were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 37.7 percent were from commercial farms. (Figure 2 and Table 2)

 

 

The average farmgate price of hogs upgraded for slaughter in January to March 2020 was PhP 111.53 per kilogram, liveweight. This was 0.9 percent higher than the price level in the same period of 2019 of PhP 110.50 per kilogram, liveweight.

The highest average farmgate price of hogs upgraded for slaughter was recorded in March at PhP 117.17 per kilogram, liveweight, while the lowest was noted in January at PhP 107.99 per kilogram, liveweight.  (Figure 3 and Table 3)

 

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

 

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Swine Situation Report presents the swine industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by farm type, and average farmgate price. This report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for PSA’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly in January, May, August, and November every year.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised hog disposed for slaughter including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter. This is expressed in metric ton, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of swine present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs such as the transport and other marketing cost (if any) incurred in selling the produce is not included in the farmgate prices.

Attachment: