Swine Situation Report, January-March 2022

Reference Number: 

2022-234

Release Date: 

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

The total hog production for January to March 2022 was registered at 416.72 thousand metric tons, liveweight, indicating a -1.2 percent decrease from the 421.79 thousand metric tons, liveweight output in the same period last year. (Figure 1)

Northern Mindanao was the top producer of hog during the quarter with 58.69 thousand metric tons, liveweight or 14.1 percent share.

Completing the top five hog producing regions and their corresponding percent shares to total production were the following:
a. Central Visayas, 13.6 percent;
b. CALABARZON, 12.4 percent;
c. Western Visayas, 11.8 percent; and
d. Davao Region,  8.3 percent.

These regions accounted for 60.2 percent of the country’s total hog production.

Relative to their levels in the same quarter of 2021, six regions reported declines in production during the quarter. Eastern Visayas recorded the highest annual reduction of -59.7 percent, from 18.41 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the same quarter of the previous year to 7.41 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter of 2022.
 

 

Total swine inventory as of 31 March 2022 grew to 9.68 million heads or an increase of 1.2 percent from 9.56 million heads in the same period last year. Population of swine in commercial farms expanded by 5.4 percent, while stocks in backyard farms declined by -0.4 percent. Backyard farms accounted for 70.3 percent of the total swine inventory, while commercial farms comprised the remaining 29.7 percent. (Figure 2)

Western Visayas reported the highest swine population of 1.16 million heads followed by Central Visayas and CALABARZON with 1.10 million heads each. 

 

 

The average farmgate price of hogs upgraded for slaughter in backyard farms for January to March 2022 inched up by 14.1 percent, from PhP 154.22 per kilogram, liveweight in the same period a year ago to PhP 176.01 per kilogram, liveweight this quarter.

The highest farmgate price was recorded in February at PhP 182.90 per kilogram, liveweight, while the lowest was in January at PhP 162.37 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 4)

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Swine Situation Report presents the swine industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by farm type, and average farmgate prices. This report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for the various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). It is released quarterly, that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the number of tended/raised hogs disposed for slaughter including animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in metric tons, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of swine present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs, such as the transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices. The 2020 to 2021 farmgate prices included in this special release were sourced from the Price Statistics Division (PSD), while the 2022 farmgate prices were based on the surveys of Livestock and Poultry Statistics Division (LPSD).

 

Attachment: