Swine Situation Report, July-September 2021

Reference Number: 


Release Date: 

Monday, November 22, 2021

The July to September 2021 total hog production at 418.07 thousand metric tons, liveweight was -17.8 percent lower than the previous year’s same period output of 508.91 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Among the 16 regions, CALABARZON was the top producer of hog during the period with a production of 52.48 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was followed by Northern Mindanao and Western Visayas with correspoding productions of 51.78 thousand metric tons, liveweight and 50.93 thousand metric tons, liveweight. These regions accounted for 37.2 percent of the country’s total hog production.

Relative to their levels in the same period a year ago, 11 regions posted decrements in production during the quarter. Central Luzon posted the biggest annual decline of -52.3 percent, from  55.95 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the same period of the previous year to 26.67 thousand metric tons, liveweight this period of 2021. (Figure 1)



The country’s total swine inventory as of 01 October 2021 was estimated at 9.87 million heads. This was -12.4 percent lower than the previous year’s same period count of 11.27 million heads. Swine population in both backyard farms and commercial farms declined by -8.2 percent and -21.8 percent, respectively. Of the total swine population, 72.1 percent were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 27.9 percent were from commercial farms. 

In terms of inventory, Western Visayas recorded the highest population of 1.19 million heads. This was followed by Central Visayas with 1.14 million heads and Northern Mindanao with 1.09 million heads. These regions comprised 34.7 percent of the country’s total swine inventory. (Figure 3)



The average farmgate price of hogs upgraded for slaughter in backyard farms for July to September 2021 was quoted at PhP 151.85 per kilogram, liveweight. It increased by 38.9 percent compared with the previous year’s same period average farmgate price of PhP 109.35 per kilogram, liveweight.

During the reference period, the highest farmgate price was recorded in July at PhP 160.03 per kilogram, liveweight, while the lowest was in September at PhP 142.76 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 4)




National Statistician and Civil Registrar General




This Swine Situation Report presents the swine industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by farm type, and average farmgate price. This report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for Philippine Statistics Authority’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly, that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised hog disposed for slaughter including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter. This is expressed in metric tons, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of swine present in the farm as of a specific reference date. For this report, the inventory of swine is as of 01 October 2021 since the surveys for this commodity are conducted quarterly i.e., January, April, July, and October.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, marketing costs, such as transport and other marketing cost (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices. The 2019 to 2021 farmgate prices included in this special release were based on the revised method of computation by the Price Statistics Division.