- As of 01 August 2018, the total rice stocks inventory was estimated at 1,520.76 thousand metric tons (Figure 1). The volume of stocks was 25.01 percent below the previous year's level of 2,028.00 thousand metric tons. This was 23.61 percent lower than last month's inventory level.of 1,990.82 thousand metric tons (fable 1).
- Relative to the previous year's rice stock inventory, a drop of 0.26 percent, 42.51 percent and 6.94 percent were observed in the households, commercial warehouses and NFA depositories, respetively (Table 1).
- Rice stocks inventory level in both households and commercial warehouses declined by 24.79 percent and 28.77 percent, respectively in comparison to their previous month's levels. On the other hand, rice stocks in NFA depositories as of 01 August 2018 was almost twice the previous month's inventory level.
- About half (49.08 %) of the total rice stocks inventory were from the households, 44.27 percent from commercial warehouses, and the remaining 6.65 percent were from NFA depositories.
- The total corn stocks inventory level as of 01 August 2018 was 1,221.91 thousand metric tons (Figure 2). This was a 75.45 percent surge in the inventory level as compared to the previous year's level of 696.46 thousand metric tons. Also, corn stocks inventory for the period was almost thrice the level in the previous month (Table 2).
- Corn stocks inventory level in commercial warehouses grew by 89.44 percent with reference to last year's level while households stocks declined by 15.90 percent. As of August 2018, there Was no corn stocks in NFA depositories (Table 2).
- Month-on-month, corn stocks inventory level in the households increased by 16.51 percent. For commercial stocks, it was almost thrice ,the July 2018 inventory level (Table 2).
- As of 01 August 2018, 5.75 percent of the total corn stocks inventory were from the households and the remaining 94.25 percent were from commercial warehouses.
ROSALlNDA P. BAUTISTA
Sectoral Statistics Office
Monthly rice and corn stocks inventory are generated from three sectors, namely: household, commercial, and National Food Authority (NFA). The household stocks are taken from the Palay and Corn Stocks Survey (PCSS) of the PSA, which covers farming and non-farming households nationwide. The commercial stocks are sourced from registered grains businessmen through the Commercial Stocks Survey (CSS). The CSS is conducted by the NFA, the results of which are submitted to PSA. NFA stocks are monitored from their warehouses/depositories.