Rice and Corn Stocks Inventory, 01 March 2019

Reference Number : 2019-105
Release Date : 10 April 2019

RICE

  • The total rice inventory as of 01 March 2019 was 2,221.42 thousand metric tons. This was 30.87 percent higher than the 1,697.37 thousand metric tons level in March 2018. Similarly, the stock inventory for this month was 3.75 percent above the previous month’s level of 2,141.23 thousand metric tons (Table 1).
  • Compared with the previous year’s level, rice stocks in the households declined by 6.08 percent. On the other hand, stocks in commercial warehouses increased by 25.75 percent. Substantial increment of 1,030.17 percent in NFA depositories was noted (Table 1).
  • Month-on-month, the current stocks in the households and in NFA depositories increased by 0.12 percent and 65.29 percent, respectively. In contrast, stocks in commercial warehouses dropped by 14.22 percent (Table 1).
  • Around 46.53 percent of this month’s total rice stock inventory were in the households, 31.32 percent were in commercial warehouses, and 22.15 percent in NFA depositories.

Figure 1 Inventory Rice Stocks March 2018, February 2019 and March 2019

Table 1 Percentage Change Inventory of Rice Stocks March  2018,  February 2018 and March 2019

CORN

  • As of 01 March 2019, the total corn stock inventory was 397.12 thousand metric tons. This was 42.68 percent above the previous year’s record of 278.34 thousand metric tons and lower by 49.19 percent than the previous month’s level of 781.52 thousand metric tons (Figure 2).
  • Year-on-year, corn stocks in the households and in commercial warehouses were higher by 55.36 percent and 38.25 percent compared to their respective levels in the previous year. On the other hand, there were no corn stocks in NFA depositories during the month (Table 2).
  • Compared with the previous month’s level, corn stocks in the households and commercial warehouses dropped by 23.01 percent and 55.19 percent, respectively.
  • Of this month’s total corn stocks, 28.29 percent were in the households and the remaining 71.71 percent were in commercial warehouses.

Figure 2 Inventory Rice Stocks March 2018, February 2019 and March 2019

Table 2 Percentage Change Inventory of Rice Stocks March  2018,  February 2018 and March 2019

 

ROSALlNDA P. BAUTISTA
(Director II)
Officer-in-Charge
Sectoral Statistics Office

 

Technical Notes

 

Monthly rice and corn stocks inventory are generated from three sectors, namely: household, commercial, and National Food Authority (NFA). The household stocks are taken from the results of Palay and Corn Stocks Survey (PCSS) of the PSA, which covers farming and non-farming households nationwide. The commercial stocks are sourced from registered grains businessmen through the Commercial Stocks Survey (CSS). The CSS is conducted by the NFA, the results of which are submitted to PSA. NFA stocks are monitored from their warehouses/depositories.