- The population of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) as of 01 May 2020 is 4,404,288 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 4.04 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 622,901 from the population of 3.78 million in 2015, and 1.15 million more than the population of 3.26 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 1.60 million from the population of 2.80 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of BARMM increased by 3.26 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was lower at 2.89 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the five provinces comprising BARMM, Maguindanao (excluding the City of Cotabato) had the biggest population in 2020 with 1,342,179 persons, followed by Lanao del Sur with 1,195,518 persons, Sulu with 1,000,108 persons, and Tawi-Tawi with 440,276 persons. Basilan (excluding the City of Isabela) had the smallest population with 426,207 persons. (Table 3)
- Basilan (excluding the City of Isabela) was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 4.45 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Sulu with a PGR of 4.14 percent. Maguindanao (excluding the City of Cotabato) and Lanao del Sur each had a PGR of 2.86 percent. Tawi-Tawi posted the lowest provincial PGR of 2.54 percent. (Table 4)
- BARMM is composed of two component cities, 116 municipalities, and 2,490 barangays.
- Among the cities (excluding the City of Isabela and the City of Cotabato) and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is the City of Marawi, Lanao del Sur with 207,010 persons. It was followed by Jolo, Sulu with 137,266 persons, and Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao with 116,768 persons. (Table 5)
- Turtle Islands in Tawi-Tawi is the least populous city/municipality in BARMM with 5,683 persons. It was followed by Hadji Panglima Tahil (Marunggas) in Sulu with 7,906 persons, and Lumbaca-Unayan in Lanao del Sur with 8,131 persons. The rest of the least populous cities/municipalities in the region are located in the Province of Lanao del Sur, except Datu Unsay in Maguindanao, which was ranked seventh with 12, 890 persons. (Table 6)
- Of the 2,490 barangays in BARMM, the largest in terms of population size is Bus-bus in Jolo, Sulu with 38,650 persons. It was followed by Poblacion in Buluan, Maguindanao with 29,702 persons, and Asturias in Jolo, Sulu with 26,997 persons. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General