- The population of MIMAROPA Region as of 01 May 2020 is 3,228,558 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 2.96 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 265,198 from the population of 2.96 million in 2015, and 483,887 more than the population of 2.74 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 929,329 compared with the population of 2.30 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of the MIMAROPA Region increased by 1.82 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was lower at 1.47 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the five provinces comprising the MIMAROPA Region, Palawan had the biggest population in 2020 with 939,594 persons, followed by Oriental Mindoro with 908,339 persons, Occidental Mindoro with 525,354 persons, and Romblon with 308,985 persons. Marinduque had the smallest population with 239,207 persons. (Table 3)
- The City of Puerto Princesa, the only highly urbanized city in the region posted a population of 307,079 persons.
- Palawan was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 2.14 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Occidental Mindoro with a PGR of 1.59 percent, Oriental Mindoro (1.56 percent), and Romblon (1.14 percent). Marinduque posted the lowest provincial PGR of 0.42 percent. (Table 4)
- The City of Puerto Princesa posted a PGR of 3.98 percent.
- MIMAROPA Region is composed of one highly urbanized city, one component city, 71 municipalities, and 1,460 barangays.
- Among the cities (excluding the City of Puerto Princesa) and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is the Municipality of San Jose, Occidental Mindoro with 153,267 persons. It was followed by the City of Calapan, Oriental Mindoro with 145,786 persons, and Naujan, Oriental Mindoro with 109,587 persons. (Table 5)
- Kalayaan in Palawan is the least populous city/municipality in MIMAROPA Region with 193 persons. It was followed by Concepcion (3,561) and Banton (5,737), both in the Province of Romblon. (Table 6)
- Of the 1,460 barangays in the MIMAROPA Region, the largest in terms of population size is San Pedro in the City of Puerto Princesa with 25,909 persons. It was followed by Rio Tuba in Bataraza, Palawan with 24,085 persons, and San Jose in the City of Puerto Princesa with 23,804 persons. The rest of the top ten most populous barangays in the region are all located in the City of Puerto Princesa, except Alfonso XIII (Pob.) in Quezon, Palawan and San Roque in San Jose, Occidental Mindoro, which ranked eighth and tenth, respectively. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General