- The population of Region I - Ilocos as of 01 May 2020 is 5,301,139 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 4.86 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 275,011 from the population of 5.03 million in 2015, and 552,767 more than the population of 4.75 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 1,100,661 compared with the population of 4.20 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of Region I increased by 1.13 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was lower at 1.09 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the four provinces comprising Region I, Pangasinan had the biggest population in 2020 with 3,163,190 persons, followed by La Union with 822,352 persons, and Ilocos Sur with 706,009 persons. Ilocos Norte had the smallest population with 609,588 persons. (Table 3)
- Pangasinan was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 1.43 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by La Union (0.94 percent) and Ilocos Norte (0.58 percent). Ilocos Sur posted the lowest PGR of 0.49 percent. (Table 4)
- Region I is composed of one independent component city, eight component cities, 116 municipalities, and 3,267 barangays.
- Among the cities and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is the City of San Carlos in Pangasinan with 205,424 persons. It was followed by the City of Dagupan, an independent component city, with 174,302 persons and the City of Urdaneta with 144,577persons, both in the province of Pangasinan. (Table 5)
- Carasi in Ilocos Norte is the least populous city/municipality in Region I with 1,607 persons. It was followed by Adams in Ilocos Norte with 2,189 persons, and Sigay in Ilocos Sur with 2,552 persons. (Table 6)
- Of the 3,267 barangays in Region I, the largest in terms of population size is Bonuan Gueset in the City of Dagupan, Pangasinan with 25,390 persons. It was followed by Pantal with 17,807 persons and Bonuan Boquig with 15,351 persons, both in the City of Dagupan, Pangasinan. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General