- The population of Region III - Central Luzon as of 01 May 2020 is 12,422,172 based on the 2020 Census of Population and Housing (2020 CPH). This accounts for about 11.39 percent of the Philippine population in 2020.
- The 2020 population of the region is higher by 1,203,995 from the population of 11.22 million in 2015, and 2,284,435 more than the population of 10.14 million in 2010. Moreover, it is higher by 4,217,430 compared with the population of 8.20 million in 2000. (Table 1)
- The population of Region III increased by 2.17 percent annually from 2015 to 2020. By comparison, the rate at which the population of the region grew from 2010 to 2015 was lower at 1.95 percent. (Table 2)
- Among the seven provinces comprising Region III, Bulacan had the biggest population in 2020 with 3,708,890 persons, followed by Pampanga with 2,437,709 persons, Nueva Ecija with 2,310,134 persons, Tarlac with 1,503,456 persons, Bataan with 853,373 persons, and Zambales with 649,615 persons. Aurora had the smallest population among the provinces, with 235,750 persons. (Table 3)
- The region has two highly urbanized cities. The City of Angeles posted a population of 462,928 persons, while the City of Olongapo had a population of 260,317 persons.
- Bulacan was the fastest growing province in the region with an annual population growth rate (PGR) of 2.54 percent from 2015 to 2020. It was followed by Bataan (2.45 percent), Pampanga (2.20 percent), Tarlac (2.04 percent), Aurora (2.02 percent), and Zambales (2.01 percent). Nueva Ecija posted the lowest PGR of 1.51 percent among the provinces. (Table 4)
- The City of Angeles posted a PGR of 2.50 percent, while the City of Olongapo had a PGR of 2.36 percent.
- Region III is composed of two highly urbanized cities (HUCs), 12 component cities, 116 municipalities, and 3,102 barangays.
- Among the cities (excluding the City of Angeles and the City of Olongapo) and municipalities in the region, the largest in terms of population size is the City of San Jose del Monte, Bulacan with 651,813 persons. It was followed by the City of Tarlac, Tarlac with 385,398 persons, and the City of San Fernando, Pampanga with 354,666 persons. (Table 5)
- Anao in Tarlac is the least populous city/municipality in Region III with 12,208 persons. It was followed by Dinalungan in Aurora with 12,508 persons, and San Clemente in Tarlac with 13,181 persons. (Table 6)
- Of the 3,102 barangays in Region III, the largest in terms of population size is Muzon in the City of San Jose del Monte, Bulacan with 127,506 persons. It was followed by Loma de Gato in Marilao, Bulacan with 71,258 persons, and Dau in Mabalacat City, Pampanga with 62,378 persons. (Table 7)
DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General