Cattle Situation Report, April-June 2022

21 September 2022

Cattle production from April to June 2022 was registered at 61.54 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This represents an annual increase of 0.9 percent from its previous year’s level of 60.99 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Northern Mindanao was the top producer of cattle during the quarter with 9.26 thousand metric tons, liveweight or 15.0 percent share.

Completing the top five (5) major producing regions and their corresponding volume of production were:
a. CALABARZON with 8.48 thousand metric tons, liveweight;
b. Ilocos Region with 6.52 thousand metric tons, liveweight;
c. Bicol Region with 6.28 thousand metric tons, liveweight; and
d. Western Visayas with 4.71 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

These regions accounted for 57.2 percent of the country’s total cattle production.

In comparison to their levels in the same quarter of 2021, 10 regions posted increments in production during the quarter. BARMM recorded the biggest annual growth of 36.1 percent from 2.15 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the same period last year to 2.93 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter. 

 

 

As of 30 June 2022, the total cattle inventory reached 2.58 million heads. This was -0.9 percent lower than the 2.61 million heads recorded in the same period last year. Cattle population in backyard farms expanded by 2.5 percent, while stocks in commercial farms contracted by -60.8 percent.  About 97.9 percent of the country’s total cattle inventory came from backyard farms, while the remaining 2.1 percent was from commercial farms. (Figure 2)

In terms of cattle inventory, the top regions were Central Visayas, CALABARZON, and Ilocos Region with a combined share of 32.3 percent to the total cattle population. 

 

 

The average farmgate price of cattle for slaughter in backyard farms was PhP 161.25 per kilogram, liveweight for this quarter. This was 10.0 percent higher than the previous year’s same period average farmgate price of PhP 146.57 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 4)
 
The highest farmgate price was recorded in June at PhP 166.47 per kilogram, liveweight, while the lowest was in May at  PhP 154.87 per kilogram, liveweight. 

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

EXPLANATORY NOTES

This Cattle Situation Report presents the cattle industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by region, and average farmgate prices. The report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for the various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). It is released quarterly, that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the number of tended/raised cattle disposed for slaughter including animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in metric tons, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of cattle present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, marketing costs, such as the transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices. The 2020 to 2021 farmgate prices included in this special release were sourced from the Price Statistics Division (PSD), while the 2022 farmgate prices were based on the surveys of Livestock and Poultry Statistics Division (LPSD).

 

Contents

Releases by Year

Featured Video

Press Conference on the October 2022 Labor Force Survey (Preliminary) Results
Press Conference on the October 2022 Labor Force Survey (Preliminary) Results

Connect with us!