Chicken Egg Situation Report, April-June 2022

21 September 2022

Chicken egg production from April to June 2022 reached 185.58 thousand metric tons, indicating an annual growth of 10.5 percent from the 167.93 thousand metric tons output in same period last year.

CALABARZON was the top producer of chicken egg during the quarter with 63.48 thousand metric tons or 34.2 percent share.

Completing the top five (5) major producing regions and their corresponding volume of production were:

a. Central Luzon with 38.22 thousand metric tons;
b. Central Visayas with 21.25 thousand metric tons;
c. Northern Mindanao with 12.38 thousand metric tons; and
d. Western Visayas with 9.29 thousand metric tons.

These regions accounted for 77.9 percent of the country’s total chicken egg production.

In comparison to their levels in the same quarter of 2021, ten regions posted increases in production during the quarter. Central Visayas recorded the biggest annual increase of 28.9 percent from 16.49 thousand metric tons in the same period last year to 21.25 thousand metric tons this quarter. 



Chicken laying flock inventory as of 30 June 2022 was estimated at 65.97 million birds or an increase of 6.0 percent from the 62.22 million birds in the same period last year. Layer chicken grew by 11.0 percent, while native/improved chicken contracted by -2.5 percent. Of the total laying flock, 65.9 percent comprised layer chicken while the remaining 34.1 percent were native/improved chicken. (Figure 2)

In terms of chicken laying flock inventory, the top three regions were CALABARZON, Central Luzon and Central Visayas with a total share of 52.8 percent



The average farmgate price of chicken egg in commercial farms was PhP 5.43 per piece for this quarter. This was -1.3 percent lower than the previous year same quarter quotation of PhP 5.50 per piece. (Figure 4)

During the reference period, the highest farmgate price was recorded in June at PhP 5.62 per piece, while the lowest was quoted in April at PhP 5.32 per piece.



National Statistician and Civil Registrar General


This Chicken Egg Situation Report presents the chicken egg industry in terms of volume of production, inventory of laying flock, and average farmgate price. The report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for the various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). It is released quarterly, that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of chicken egg disposed from locally-raised chicken including those chicken eggs which were shipped out to other regions/provinces.

Inventory refers to the actual number of chicken laying flock and native/improved adult female present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs, such as the transport and other marketing cost (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices. The 2020 to 2021 farmgate prices included in this special release were sourced from the Price Statistics Division (PSD), while the 2022 farmgate prices were based on the surveys of Livestock and Poultry Statistics Division (LPSD).



Releases by Year

Featured Video

Press Conference on the October 2022 Labor Force Survey (Preliminary) Results
Press Conference on the October 2022 Labor Force Survey (Preliminary) Results

Connect with us!