Summary Inflation Report Consumer Price Index (2012=100): June 2018
Release Date: 05 July 2018
The headline inflation in the Philippines further increased by 5.2 percent in June 2018. Inflation in the previous month was pegged at 4.6 percent and in the same period in 2017, 2.5 percent.
It was primarily brought about by higher annual rate posted in the heavily-weighted food and non-alcoholic beverages index at 6.1 percent. Faster annual increments were also registered in the indices of the following commodity groups:
- Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco (20.8%);
- Housing, Water, Electricity, Gas, and Other Fuels (4.6%);
- Furnishing, Household Equipment and Routine Maintenance of the House (3.0%);
- Transport (7.1%);
- Communication (0.4%); and
- Education (4.0%).
The other commodity groups had slower annual gains except for clothing and footwear index whose rate remained at 2.2 percent (see Tables 3 and 4).
Excluding selected food and energy items, core inflation escalated by 4.3 percent in June 2018, faster than the 3.6 percent growth in May 2018 and 2.1 percent in June 2017 (see Table 9).
The country’s food alone index went up by 5.8 percent in June 2018. It was posted at 5.5 percent in the previous month and 3.1 percent in June 2017 (see Table 7).
Higher annual mark-ups were observed in the indices of the following food groups:
- Rice (4.7%);
- Corn (14.1%);
- Other Cereals, Flour, Cereal Preparation, Bread, Pasta and Other Bakery Products (2.4%);
- Meat (5.0%);
- Vegetables (8.6%);
- Sugar, Jam, Honey, Chocolate and Confectionery (3.9%); and
- Food Products not Elsewhere Classified (3.1%).
Those for the rest of the food groups either slowed down or remained at their previous month’s rate (see Table 5).
National Capital Region (NCR)
Year-on-year inflation in NCR accelerated by 5.8 percent in June 2018. It was pegged at 4.9 percent in the previous month and 3.1 percent in June 2017. Contributing to the uptrend were higher annual hikes recorded in the indices of the folllowing commmmodity groups:
- Food and Non-Alcoholic Beverages (5.7%);
- Housing, Water, Electricity, Gas, and Other Fuels (7.5%);
- Furnishing, Household Equipment and Routine Maintenance of the House (3.1%);
- Transport (7.7%);
- Communication (0.4%); and
- Education (5.5%).
The rest of the commodity groups exhibited slower annual rates with the clothing and footwear index retaining its prevous month’s growth of 2.2 percent (see Tables 3 and 4).
Areas Outside NCR (AONCR)
Following the same trend, inflation in AONCR moved faster at 5.1 percent in June 2018. In the previous month, inflation settled to 4.6 percent and in June 2017, 2.3 percent.
Higher annual increments were registered in the indices of the following commodity groups:
- Food and Non-Alcoholic Beverages (6.1%);
- Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco (20.6%);
- Housing, Water, Electricity, Gas, and Other Fuels (3.5%);
- Transport (6.9%);
- Education (3.5%); and
- Restaurant and Miscellaneous Goods and Services (3.3%).
The rest of the commodity groups retained their previous month’s rate (see Tables 3 and 4).
Higher inflation were posted in all the regions except Region IV-B (MIMAROPA). The highest annual rate of 7.7 percent was observed in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) while the lowest was seen in Region III (Central Luzon) at 3.0 percent (see Table 4).
- The second phase survey report from Tawi-Tawi was not received as of 04 July 2018.
- Price movements of the commodities from the sample municipalities of Lanao del Sur were used to impute the prices for Marawi City for June 2018.
- Accompanying this report are the summary tables showing the inflation rates for the 2006-based CPI series and core inflation rates from January 2013 to June 2018.
- CPIs and inflation rates by province and selected city are also available upon request at Price Statistics Division (Telephone Number: 376-19-59).
(Sgd) LISA GRACE S. BERSALES, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General
See more at the CPI and Inflation Rate page.
Releases by Year Published
CPI and Inflation Rate at a Glance
Annual CPI Report
|Release Date||Title of Report|
|May 9, 2018||The Consumer Price Index in the Philippines (2006=100) : 2017 Annual Report|
|May 8, 2017||The Consumer Price Index in the Philippines (2006=100) : 2016 Annual Report|
|May 6, 2016||The Consumer Price Index in the Philippines (2006=100) : 2015 Annual Report|
|Price Statistics Division
Economic Sector Statistics Service
|+632 376 1959|