Republic Act (RA) No. 10625, also known as the “Philippine Statistical Act of 2013” mandates the PSA to establish an SSRCS to provide assistance and support to the statistical work of government agencies in the PSS, including the local government units (LGUs) and government-owned and controlled corporations (GOCCs).
Rule 28 of the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of RA No. 10625 mandates the PSA to be involved in the evaluation of surveys or censuses sponsored and/or to be conducted by government agencies at the national and local level.
What are the objectives of the SSRCS?
- ensure sound design for data collection;
- minimize the burden placed upon respondents;
- effect economy in statistical data collection efforts;
- eliminate unnecessary duplication of statistical data collected; and
- achieve better coordination of government statistical activities.
What is a statistical survey? A census?
A survey refers to a data collection activity in which the primary concern is to compile data or statistics on a particular class, segment, activity, or geographic area (sample) of a bigger population. It is a method of collecting information about the population in which direct contact is made with the units of study (e.g., individuals, organizations, communities, etc.) through systematic means such as statistical survey forms, questionnaires or interview schedules.
Census is the process of complete enumeration in which every unit of the defined population being studied is included.
Are all statistical surveys/censuses subject to the SSRCS?
- SSRCS Form 1 (Statistical Survey Notification Form) (Downloadable from https://psa.gov.ph/ssrcs, together with the Instructions for Filling in the SSRCS Form 1)
- Survey questionnaire/s
- Accomplished SSRCS Form 4 (Statistical Survey Monitoring Form), for previously cleared surveys
- Signed SSRCS Form 5 (List of Revised and New Data Items) (for PSA surveys/censuses only)
- Enumerators’ Manual/Manual of Instructions/Operations
- List of tables to be generated
- Compilation of policy uses of survey results
- Pre-test/Pilot survey results, if any, for new surveys and surveys with major changes in the forms content and sampling design
- Previous survey results, if any
- Survey proposal, if any
- Any additional information not stated in SSRCS Form 1
All documents should be submitted to:
CLAIRE DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General
Philippine Statistics Authority
PSA Complex, East Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101
For submissions originating from regions/provinces, all documents can be submitted to the nearest PSA Regional Statistical Services Office (RSSO) or Provincial Statistics Office (PSO). Contact details of the PSA RSSOs can be accessed at: https://psa.gov.ph/directory.
What aspects of a survey or census are being reviewed by the PSA?
The process of evaluating a survey and/or census proposal dwells primarily on the following aspects:
- The need for the conduct of the survey/census
- Unnecessary duplication
- Sampling design
- Forms content and tables to be generated
- Operational plan
- Statistical outputs
A complete list of surveys/censuses granted clearance under the SSRCS can be accessed at: https://psa.gov.ph/ssrcs/listing/2019. Meanwhile, all SSRCS press releases issued are available at: https://psa.gov.ph/ssrcs/press-releases/2019.
For queries on the SSRCS, interested parties may send an email message to the SSRCS Secretariat at: email@example.com.