Duck Egg Situation Report, October-December 2020

Reference Number: 

2021-072

Release Date: 

Monday, February 8, 2021

The total duck egg production from October to December 2020 was estimated at 14.12 thousand metric tons. This was 4.4 percent higher than the previous year’s same quarter output of 13.53 thousand metric tons.

Among the regions, Central Luzon was the top producer of duck egg during the quarter with a production of 6.59 thousand metric tons. This was followed by Western Visayas with 1.62 thousand metric tons and Northern Mindanao with 1.52 thousand metric tons. The combined production of these three regions shared 68.9 percent to the country’s total duck egg production.

Relative to their levels in the same period a year ago, nine (9) regions reported increases in production during the period, with Caraga exhibiting the highest annual increase of 24.7 percent. This region recorded a production of 0.17 thousand metric tons this quarter, from 0.14 thousand metric tons in the same period of 2019.

 

Figure 1

 

As of 01 January 2021, total laying flock inventory was estimated at 6.76 million birds.  This was 3.3 percent higher than the 6.54 million birds recorded in the same period of the previous year. Laying flock population in both backyard and commercial farms recorded increases of 1.7 percent and 4.9 percent, respectively.

Of the total laying flock, 50.7 percent were raised in commercial farms while the remaining 49.3 percent came from backyard farms.

Figure 2

 

The average farmgate price of duck egg in commercial farms during the quarter was quoted at PhP 6.96 per piece. This was lower by -4.5 percent from the average farmgate price of PhP 7.29 per piece in the same quarter of 2019.

During the reference period, the highest average farmgate price was observed in December at PhP 7.25 per piece, while the lowest was in October at PhP 6.60 per piece.

 

Figure 3

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Duck Egg Situation Report presents the duck egg industry in terms of volume of production, laying flock inventory and average farmgate price. The report was prepared to serve as ready reference for PSA’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly; that is, every February, May, August, and November.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of duck egg disposed from locally-raised duck including those duck eggs which were shipped out to other regions/provinces.

Inventory refers to the actual number of duck laying flock present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs, such as the transport and other marketing cost (if any) incurred in selling the produce, are not included in the farmgate prices.

 

Attachment: