The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) will hold the 1st Philippine Data Festival (PH Data Fest) with the theme “Bringing Statistics Closer to the People” on 15 to 16 November 2018 in Manila.
The PH Data Fest is a two-day event consisting of presentations and open discussions, expositions, games and contests. It will be conducted in connection with PSA’s commitment in generating quality statistics and promoting a responsive and relevant statistical system capable of providing and communicating timely, accurate and useful data for the government and the public.
Specifically, the festival will:
1. instill appreciation and enhance statistical literacy on official statistics among students;
2. enjoin the academe in the advocacy of statistics;
3. strengthen partnerships and foster collaboration with other government offices, civil society organizations, and the private sector; and
4. promote proper interpretation and use of official statistics among media practitioners.
Three (3) plenary sessions will be organized covering topics on:
1. “How Private Are Your Data?” and “Battling Fake News with Real Data”
2. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Where Are We Now?
3. Circle of Life: Vital Events in Numbers
Meanwhile, breakout sessions will feature topics on economic and social statistics, civil registration and the Philippine Identification System (PhilSys), big data, open data and statistics on the Philippines and ASEAN, among others.
The PH Data Fest will also feature the following:
1. A statistics appreciation session for the media to increase their awareness and knowledge in the proper interpretation and use of official statistics
2. An interactive exposition/exhibit that will showcase the latest innovations, statistical products and milestones on the Philippine Statistical System. Relatedly, the PSA will display a Statistics Museum which contains publications and equipment used in data collection, processing and dissemination in the Philippines throughout the years
3. A career orientation session for students to prepare them for better career opportunities in the field of statistics
4. Statistical contests and games on data cartooning, data storytelling and statistics in general.
The participants will also have a chance to meet, greet and discuss statistics for 30 minutes with the National Statistician, Undersecretary Lisa Grace S. Bersales.
Participants are invited representatives from the members of the PSA Board and national government agencies (NGAs); private organizations; students and faculty from private and state universities and colleges; and the media. Participants are advised to register online through this link: https://tinyurl.com/phildatafest2018.
For further information on the festival, please contact the 1st PH Data Fest Secretariat at telephone numbers (02) 376-1928 and (02) 376-1931, and email address: email@example.com. Updates on the festival are likewise posted on the 1st PH Data Fest webpage at https://psa.gov.ph/datafestival.
FOR THE NATIONAL STATISTICIAN:
JOSIE B. PEREZ
(Deputy National Statistician)